Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Zurich






Zurich...If there were more time, this is a place I would like to explore some more.  We were housed in a nice hotel right downtown in the business 

district.  Lots of folks dressed in business suits, expensive boutiques...etc .  The hotel had a really cool shoe shine machine...The gig was at an old theater  called Kaufleuten.  The show was well attended, the hospitality was great.  After the show, I was greeted by the lovely Ursina, a Zurich native who I actually met on Maui several weeks ago.  We cruised the late night streets of the old town...ate a falafel, ended up at a jazz club which hosts a wednesday night jam session.  Good timing.  The local cats were throwing down everything from "Blue Bossa" to a very interpretive version of Horace Silver's "peace."  I was impressed by the guitarist who played with a lot of fire.  Sort of Scofield but more "loose."  I heard he's well known in Zurich.  It is very cool to see how the Europeans embrace jazz and the blues.  I was just getting ready to sit in when the sound guy came up and pulled the plug...oh well.  I had a brief talk with the piano player.  He said gigs are pretty hard to come by...lots of competition.  Zurich is home to several schools and there are quite a few qualified musicians about..."whatever" I thought to myself.  He just doesn't want anyone to move there!!!!  No really, he makes most of his money teaching, but I know that Zurich probably has a corperate scene with elegant private parties.. The place screams money....Switzerland....I'd buy me a nice watch if I could afford it.  A beautiful city...Zurich 

No comments:

Followers