Monday, October 13, 2008

Erfurt



After several hours of driving,  joke-telling and schniztel-eating, we roll into Erfurt, a former Eastern-bloc city.  With a couple of hours to kill, I decide to venture out on my own to give the legs a stretch.  I decide to head to higher ground where I came upon the Petersburg Citadel, a 17th century fortress.  There was an Octoberfest going on with carnival rides. The church you see is actually a university.  The venue was an old opera house.  It had many doorways leading to strange rooms.  Who knows the stories this building could tell? I love the architecture and the outdoor cafe' atmosphere of the town.  Here's a photo a Blaine sitting by a cool fountain. Later, after the show, we went out to a club called the Centrum.  It was open until 4am.  Lots of boomsy music and questionable characters. The highlight was the autoban Mercedes cab ride back to the hotel..good fun.

No comments:

Followers