Sunday, October 26, 2008

Light Reading for the Road

Two nights in Denmark, now back to Germany for two more shows.  We gathered up what was left of our brain cells and headed south.  Our first destination is the Park Hotel in Bremen.  On my way out the door on Maui I randomly grabbed some reading material for the flight. Honestly, I really didn't remember what this novel was about, I simply remembered that I wanted to check out Kurt Vonnegut.  He passed recently.  At any rate, for those who aren't familiar, the book speaks about the atrocities of war, mankind's worst manifestation, and namely the fire-bombing of Dresden toward the and of WWII.  "nice light-reading for the road"
I thought the book was well-written. A mixture of prose and historical fact.  His dark humor provides a sound vehicle for what is a pretty heavy topic. And so it goes.....

The park hotel was just outside the center of Bremen, so I decided to hire a Bicycle for and hour (4 euros) and set out on my own adventure into another unfamiliar city.  In typical fashion, I immmediately headed in the wrong direction, asked a nice fellow, got set straight and hit the town.  There was an October celebration going on (per usual) and there were folks out enoying this brisk fall day.  Biking is the way to go.  Just follow someone who seems to know where they are going and pay attention to the seperate bike traffic lights.  People are really aware (at least in this town) of where the bikers are. Perhaps I stood out a bit with my Hawaii sweatshirt and ski cap.  I parked old #13 near the center, walked around for a bit, ate a bratwurst, drank a Beck's and headed back to the hotel (w/directions!) and made it to the awaiting van and my comrades.

No comments:

Followers