Thursday, October 30, 2008

Liverpool

I took a few things away from my experience in Liverpool.  One, is that Blues music speaks universally across a wide social strata.  Secondly, it occurred to me that  idolatry has its seamy underside.  And lastly,  that the music you want to write is  all around you.  
Blues music makes people feel good.  It's direct.  It's naked.   It doesn't aspire to be intellectual, yet is wise.  It's relevant to peoples lives and that is the real reason that it is considered by some to be America's original art form.  "Keep it Greasy, Baby!" 

       Lenny, Bill and I took a Fab Four taxi around Liverpool.  It cost 45 pounds total and took about 2.5 hrs.  Terry took us in his little black taxi to a the birthplaces of the Beatles, the home of Brian Epstein, the church where John and Pal met, The barber shop on Penny Lane...it was classic!  We listened to the songs as we saw the sights which inspired them.  


However, 
It reminded me of a poem by Jack Kerouac:


I’d rather be thin than famous,
I don’t wanna be fat.
And a woman throws me outta bed, callin me Gordo,
and every time I bend to pickup my suspenders from the davenport floor
I explode loud, huge grunt-o and disgust everyone in the familio.
I’d rather be thin than famous,
but I’m fat.
Paste that in your Broadway show.

Jack Kerouac

    At the end of the day, we're all the same.  Regrettable that fame becomes a self-imposed prison for some. Assured that someone will be there to capitalize.  That's the business. And so it goes. 



Keep it Greasy, Lads!"

No comments:

Followers